Re: Counterstrike on Linux

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 05:02, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 03:59:52AM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > Step 5) Download the Linux client binaries for RTCW and install the game
> > on your system, then proceed to play a multiplayer game that is BETTER
> > than CS[1], made by a company that actually gives a damn about Linux
> > users, and running on an engine written by a guy who has released the
> > vast majority of all of his work under the GPL (John Carmack).
>
> I've already done that.  I was hoping for more realistic WWII action
> than the original Wolfenstein 3-D, but was horribly dissapointed with
> the less realistic weapons later in the game and the overblown occult
> demon bullshit.
--snip--

If you're looking for realistic WWII action, you have 3 options:

1) Play multiplayer RTCW. It's absolutely amazing. Just like RTCW except
with none of the fake weapons and an incredibly team-bases system.

2) A native Linux client of Medal of Honor is apparently in the works
right now
(http://www.tuxgames.com/details.cgi?gameref=104&id=454127&nc=1050748589). Though I've never played the game, I know it is a WWII era game so it might be worth looking into.

3) While I've yet to find a way to run this outside of Windows, it is
the absolute pinnacle of WWII shooters/sims IMO. Hidden and Dangerous. I
have sunk more hours than I'd care to admit into this game over the
years. Unfortunately, haven't touched it in over a year since I killed
off my Windoze partitions altogether.

p.s. If you get the urge to just blow stuff up, Unreal Tournament 2003
is a blast (pun intended... :) and has a native Linux client. If you're
into RPG's at all, Neverwinter Nights now has a native Linux client in
beta that's been working great for me. No word yet on a boxed version of
NWN with the client, but you can always buy the Windows version from
tuxgames and then install the client by hand.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837