Re: Counterstrike on Linux

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 02:58, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Please turn your line wraps on to 72 columns....
>
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 12:20:25AM -0700, Mark Whaite wrote:
> > you can get the source to winex, it plays counterstrike well after a
> > little tweaking.  could be worse.  Winex from CVS does not include
> > all the directX functions that you get with the paid version.
>
> Ah, OK so there is a difference.  For those of us fairly new to winex,
> what's the trick to make Counterstrike work?

Step 1) Obtain a legitemate, retail copy of Half-Life
Step 2) Obtain all of the necessary CS material
Step 3) Obtain a legitemate, retail copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Step 4) Make a video of yourself burning the Half-Life CD and send it to
Valve along with a letter telling them how evil they are for not
supporting Linux.
Step 5) Download the Linux client binaries for RTCW and install the game
on your system, then proceed to play a multiplayer game that is BETTER
than CS[1], made by a company that actually gives a damn about Linux
users, and running on an engine written by a guy who has released the
vast majority of all of his work under the GPL (John Carmack).

Alternatively, forego all aforementioned steps, install pengiun-command,
and enjoy a game that isn't burdened by proprietary licenses. :)

[1] Ok, ok, so that's inviting a holy war on the scale of the vimacs
debate, but I had to use strong language for dramatic effect. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837