Re: SSL relaying

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 14:21, Kai Hendry wrote:
> I installed the debian unstable exim-tls package fine. It is Exim 3 I
> believe. I was very confused as to what exim I had, as version/help
> typical switches failed, and the man page did not say either.

dpkg -l <packagename>

should help you discover what version of a package you have.

> I looked in /usr/share/doc/exim-tls for some docs/tutorial. After grepping only
> spec.txt.gz was the only one that mentions SSL.  Section 38.2 I think is the
> thing I want. I read it, and was none the wiser.
>
> I searched usenet, the htdig and paged through exim's yahoo group. Still
> nothing.
>
> I even sadly tried IRC #exim:
> 15:37 < hendry> Is there some guide for setting up SSL relaying to a host?
> 15:38 < icct_gym> 'tls_advertise_hosts = *' and have fun
> 15:41 < icct_gym> atleast with exim4
> 15:44 < hendry> i looked at the man page.
> 15:44 < hendry> and the package details
> 15:45 < hendry> i can't see to determine what version of exim is this exim-tls package using
> 15:45 < hendry> (from debian unstable)
> 15:45 < icct_gym> it is exim3
> 15:46 < hendry> Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian)
> 15:47 < hendry> Do I have to edit /etc files to relay mails to my ssl uni host for just myself ?
> 15:51 < hendry> have not figured out where i put my user/pass
>
> Everything is looking *hard* in exim for something I assumed many other users
> would have configured already too. Is there some other MTA I should use? I am
> only concerned with sending, as I read my email on my Uni's SSL IMAP.

Its not that hard. It just takes a little bit of getting used to. I just
configured exim to use ssl and authenticate users. If I understood you
correctly, you want to use Exim to authenticate itself with another smtp
server over ssl.

There is documentation on the exim site itself.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec.html

If so, check out the end bit of /etc/exim/exim.conf

----
# These examples below are the equivalent for client side
authentication.
# They assume that you only use client side authentication to connect to
# one host (such as a smarthost at your ISP), or else use the same user
# name and password everywhere

# plain:
#   driver = plaintext
#   public_name = PLAIN
#   client_send = "^username^password"
#
# login:
#   driver = plaintext
#   public_name = LOGIN
#   client_send = ": username : password"
#
# cram_md5:
#   driver = cram_md5
#   public_name = CRAM-MD5
#   client_name = username
#   client_secret = password

---

Define how you want your client to authenticate here.

> p.s. please CC: as I am not subscribed to this list

There is a header that you can set for this (X-Mail-Followup, I think)

HTH,

Shri
Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com