SSL relaying

I want to relay(is that the correct term?) email from my home computer
to my University's smtp securely.

Well, my University's smtp server only supports SSL. And my ISP's smtp
server has let me down in the past. I tried it out in Evolution when I
gave it my username/password and it worked.

However I am keen to have it working under my current mutt setup. As
mutt uses whatever my system's MTA is, here I am battling with exim.

I installed the debian unstable exim-tls package fine. It is Exim 3 I
believe. I was very confused as to what exim I had, as version/help
typical switches failed, and the man page did not say either.

I looked in /usr/share/doc/exim-tls for some docs/tutorial. After grepping only
spec.txt.gz was the only one that mentions SSL.  Section 38.2 I think is the
thing I want. I read it, and was none the wiser.

I searched usenet, the htdig and paged through exim's yahoo group. Still
nothing.

I even sadly tried IRC #exim:
15:37 < hendry> Is there some guide for setting up SSL relaying to a host?
15:38 < icct_gym> 'tls_advertise_hosts = *' and have fun
15:41 < icct_gym> atleast with exim4
15:44 < hendry> i looked at the man page.
15:44 < hendry> and the package details
15:45 < hendry> i can't see to determine what version of exim is this exim-tls package using
15:45 < hendry> (from debian unstable)
15:45 < icct_gym> it is exim3
15:46 < hendry> Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian)
15:47 < hendry> Do I have to edit /etc files to relay mails to my ssl uni host for just myself ?
15:51 < hendry> have not figured out where i put my user/pass

Everything is looking *hard* in exim for something I assumed many other users
would have configured already too. Is there some other MTA I should use? I am
only concerned with sending, as I read my email on my Uni's SSL IMAP.

Any pointers and tutorials would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,
-Kai Hendry
p.s. please CC: as I am not subscribed to this list