Re: Temporary package from source

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 08:14, Ivo van Heel wrote:

> This is sort of what I'd like to do as well. Unfortunately, nobody's
> answered my question yet (why is that, btw? Do I smell?) Having two
> different versions installed is gets messy and things are even messier
> when there are dependencies involved. You can't just remove one package
> and then build the new version from source.

This is what I do, assuming that I want to install package foo 1.0.3,
while debian is still at foo 1.0.2

wget http://www.foo.org/foo-1.0.3.tar.gz > foo-1.0.3.tar.gz
apt-get source foo
cd foo-1.0.2
uupdate ../foo-1.0.3.tar.gz
cd ../foo-1.0.3
perl -pi -e s/1.0.3-1/1.0.3-0/ debian/changelog
debuild
dpkg -i ../foo_1.0.3-0_i386.deb

The purpose of changing the version number in debian/changelog is to
ensure that when the real debian package is upgraded (as version
1.0.3-1), your package will be upgraded automatically.

Note: these are guidelines, not a sure-fire recipe. They assume that you
have a reasonably good idea how to build debian packages, so that you
can fix things that go wrong. For simple packages, the above is usually
sufficient.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA

Dave is currently listening to Lou Reed - Men Of Good Fortune (Berlin)