Re: Temporary package from source

Am Don, 2003-04-17 um 02.58 schrieb Bill Moseley:
> On 16 Apr 2003, Matthias Hentges wrote:
>
> > Ok, I will try ;)
>
> And thank you for doing so! ;)

NP ;)

> A few questions:
>
> > - d/l old source.deb (apt-get source blahhh)
>
> Ok, just to fetch the control file.

Correct

[...]

> > Version: 0.0.2-10
>
> Ok, I suppose I need to pick a version number that won't conflict.  I can
> think of two situations:
>
> 1) I want to make a package that will never be upgraded by a dist-upgrade.
>
> 2) I want to make a package that will be replace on a dist-upgrade when
> the debian package catches up.  For example, I want version 1.5 of libtool
> but currently 1.4.3-7 is the most current Debian package.  But when, say
> there's a debian version newer than 1.5 I'd like to start tracking that
> again.  Is that possible?

Yes, as long as you name the package the same as the debian package this
is the case.
I recommend to use the real version number when ever possible.

> > Ok, now you have a hopefully valid control file.
> >
> > - Now ./configure your new source package with the option
> >   --prefix=/tmp/new
> > - make and make install
>
> Or should that be
>
>    ./configure --prefix=/usr && make
>    make install prefix=/tmp/new
>
> The difference that the program is configured to be *installed* in /usr,
> but for now will be installed in /tmp/new.

Well i guess that'll work too. This way might be even better for complex
programs with build-in, hard-wired search paths.

> Will packages always get installed in /usr?  Or is it possible to set in
> the control (or other file) to install someplace else?  Or is that only an
> option when installing the package (i.e.  dpkg --instdir)?

To install your newly build package in lets say /my_very_own_directory
you'd just ./configure --prefix=/tmp/new/my_very_own_directory.
Again, i recommend to install the new package in the same place where
the old package has been, so you can properly update the package using
apt-get.

--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice