Re: Newbie problems

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 22:55, ajitabhpandey@softhome.net wrote:
> Shri Shrikumar writes:

[***SNIPississed!!!***]

> apt-get update
>
> it ran successfully and has updated the package list. But now when I do
>
> apt-get install evolution
>
> I get a long list of packages (approx 50MB)which will be installed and
> surely evolution does not depend on them. I checked the dependency list of
> evolution from the debian web site. So what do I do if I only want to
> install evolution and the component on which it is dependent (approx 10 MB)
>
> Regards.
> Ajitabh Pandey

Surprise - Evolution DOES depend on them, or Evolution's dependencies
depend on them. Evolution is very much a Gnome application, leveraging
functionality all about the breadth of that desktop environment, and if
you aren't using Gnome, it calls upon much that you aren't otherwise
using.

But that isn't unique - if I want to run one KDE program on my Gnome
desktop, many, many libraries are loaded to implement the program.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org