Newbie problems

Hi, I am using Knoppix 3.1 which is based on Debian unstable. I am having following problems: (1.) On the Console I am not able to log on as root, I get an authentication failure,though on X it is logging me in. However on console if I log in as any other user I am allowed to do so. If I understand correct, there must be some config file for this, please suggest what to do. (2.) Even after I log in as a user from console, the keyboard is not behaving in the manner it should. When I press / I get a - on the screen, when I press - I get some junk character. I have checked the /etc/profile, the LANG variable was de_DE and I changed it to en_US, still the same problem. Please suggest. (3.)When I try to install evolution I get the following error:
root@knoppix:~# apt-get install evolution
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing postgresql-client (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp2.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386 _Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
root@knoppix:~# (4.) KPPP is working perfect from root (I am sending this mail), but when I try to use it as non-root it is not running. (5.) wvdial is not able to sustan the connection and even after successfull authentication with the ISP, the pppd deamon dies out with error code 16. From man pages I checked that Error 16 means "Link was terminated by the modem hanging up." This is happening with root as well as non-root users. I am not able to download my e-mails because of all these problems and since this is a heavy traffic list my mail box is already over quota and hence I am setting the Reply To to my yahoo account (ajitabhpandey@yahoo.com).
Thanks & Regards.
Ajitabh Pandey