dselect problems / security.updates?

Hi,
    Woody box, dselect, i386 system, apt.

    I was running dselect, getting cdrecord and a few
other things.
    I noticed that security.updates is sending me a
new glibc, but I also noticed that all of my downloads
from there [and maybe all my downloads from the
mirrors--even the closest ones] seem to be running
extremely slowly and dropping connections everywhere.

    Now, this could be the internet, but my web pages
seem to load okay, including graphics.

    Is anyone else noticing this?  And why would this
be?

  - Mike