Re: Reiserfs Review

Alan Chandler said:

> Apr 16 21:45:47 kanger kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> Apr 16 21:45:47 kanger kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> DriveStatusError  BadCRC }
>
> I need to decide what to do next.  The motherboard does have another
> controller wired as IDE3 and IDE4.

in my experience BadCRC indicates hardware problem, most often cables,
are you using IDE cables that are longer then 18" ? Some controllers
don't fair well with longer cables, that message is not critical, but
I'd reccomend finding a way to correct it. IDE cable spec is for max
length of 18", though longer cables(as long as 32") are available.

as for the VIA bug, there are many related to their IDE chipsets
which is why I stopped using the onboard IDE on my VIA systems years
ago(use Promise ATA/100 instead). There was a data curroption bug a
year or two ago which was worked around by a bios upgrade, and a
few other bugs, the bug that bit me was the system was unable to
stay in DMA mode, it would revert to PIO quite often slowing down
the system to a crawl(talking a 10x slowdown).

nate