Re: wxWindows for GTK installation

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 03:47:39PM +0100, Tim wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm installing wxWindows 2.4 over top of 2.2, using the .tar.bz2 file I
| downloaded (use this rather than apt-get as I often reinstall and use a
| dialup hence need to save downloaded updates).

There's a better option.  Apt stores the downloaded packages in
/var/cache/apt/archives.  It doesn't remove them until you say so with
"apt-get clean" or "apt-get autoclean".  (the latter doesn't remove
everything)  If you really want to keep something, just copy it out of
that directory.  Another option is to download the .deb via a web
browser or some such and use 'dpkg -i' to install it/them.

| Following install instructions, I've run ./configure --with-gtk, make,
| make install, ldconfig.  The next instruction is to modify
| LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable.
|
| As I'm no guru at this, I've not clue where to start.

man bash

Read about environment variables.

| In what file is LD_LIBRARY_PATH located?

Whatever file you feel like setting it in, as long as your shell reads
it :-).  (IOW the shell (and thus environment variables) are quite
flexble and can be handled in a wide variety of ways)

| Am I off the track?

I recommend simply using the ready-made debian package instead.  It's
simpler that way.

-D

--
Consider what God has done:
    Who can straighten what He has made crooked?

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/