Re: Temporary package from source

Am Mit, 2003-04-16 um 17.14 schrieb Ivo van Heel:
> Bill Moseley wrote:
> > A new release of libtool is out that I'd like to use.  I currently use the
> > Debian version, but a new package is not available.  I don't mind building
> > from source, but I'd like to use the packaged version later when it
> > becomes available from debian.
>
> This is sort of what I'd like to do as well. Unfortunately, nobody's
> answered my question yet (why is that, btw? Do I smell?)

Ok, I will try ;)

For simple source packages (ie: packages which do not need automatic
post-install configuration) you can do something like that:

- d/l old source.deb (apt-get source blahhh)
- create a new directory, with another directory called DEBIAN in it
  (ie: mkdir -p /tmp/new/DEBIAN)
- create the file /tmp/new/DEBIAN/control
- Fill in the lines below (Package, Source, Version etc) with values
  from the control file found in the old source.deb, but enter the new
  version of your package.

Package: mhfirewall
Source: mhfirewall
Version: 0.0.2-10
Section: admin

Important are the Depends and Version fields.

Ok, now you have a hopefully valid control file.

- Now ./configure your new source package with the option
  --prefix=/tmp/new
- make and make install

You should now have your new package installed into /tmp/new.

Now build your .deb with dpkg-deb -b /tmp/new

NOTE: Do *not* do this with system critical packages since this
description leaves out a *lot* of details on how to build a proper .deb.

HTH and good luck

--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice