Re: Connecting remotely to my home computer

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 08:20:20PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> >Does the DSL Modem or your firewall get assigned the external IP?
>
> DSL Modem gets the external IP.

That could be a bit of a problem.  Since the modem gets the external IP,
your internal systems really don't know what it is.  I don't know of an
easy way for them to determine it either.  Unless, you've got an
external site that will inform the requester of their apparent IP.

> But I also found in the web-based modem configuration utility that all
> I need to do is click one check box to enable NATing of incoming SSH
> requests. It just works.

That's better than most.

> The modem has two options for connection type: "Always On," and "On
> Demand" (I had been useing "On Demand" before.  Is it reasonable to
> assume that the "Always On" option will hold on to the IP?

This is completely dependant on the upstream DHCP server.  Some will
allow renewing your lease before it expires.  This can lead to seemingly
static IP assignments.  Others are not so nice.

> I've heard of VNC, but never used it.  Is there a good how to or easy
> way to set it up?

http://www.tightvnc.org
http://www.realvnc.com

I prefer setting it up under inetd and restricting it to localhost
connections.  Then using SSH forwarding to connect to it.  This provides
a suitable balance of security and ease of use for me.  However, it is a
little more complex to setup.

There are a few different implementations of it, but they all function
similarly.  You can find an FAQ on it here:

http://realvnc.com/faq.html

--
Jamin W. Collins