Re: (Fwd to list) Re: Wireless lan setup

Hi Pat,

   thanks for the reply, but please send them to the list, not me.

* Nick Hastings <hastings@bmail.kek.jp> [030416 10:22]:
> Try the wlan drivers for your kernel version.

As indicated earlier I use a home cooked kernel.

> apt-cache search wlan
>
> will list the available drivers for you.

Yes.. thanks. There are no source pack packages available. I actually
already tried this driver using

apt-get source linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.4.20-1-386

and then building the modules my self.

> You might need to run testing.....

Well, as my email indicates I actually run unstable.

> I have a compaq laptop with a Prism 2.5 mini-pci wireless lan
> card and the wlan stuff works great.
>
> Alternately you could try the Orinoco drivers (they don't seem
> to work as well) included in the standard kernel package.

I tried these first. Anyway I believe I managed to get all three
drivers working at different stages, ie. the card is seen and the
interface (wlan0 or eth1 depending on the driver) can be configured
with a static IP. My concern is that I'm not configuring it correctly.
I can't test the static IP since I have no other wireless card or hub,
and I can't get dhcp to work.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions.

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux cat 2.4.20-looxt #1 Tue Apr 1 13:23:20 JST 2003