From: Nick Hastings <hastings@bmail.kek.jp>
Subject: wireless and dhcp
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:14:30 +0900

Hi all,

I recently acquired a nice new notebook: Fujitsu FMV Biblio LOOX T93C
[1]. If anyone else has one of these up and running I'd love to hear
their experiences.

1. http://www.fmworld.net/product/frame/pcpm0301/biblo_loox/t/index.html

Anyway to the specifics of this post: This machine comes with onboard
wireless lan:

hastings@cat ~ 42%  lspci | grep Prism
00:12.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan
chipset (rev 01)

I managed to get some way to configuring the device with the hostap
drivers (apt-get install hostap-source, make-kpkg modules_image, etc.).

hastings@cat ~ 6%  lsmod | grep hostap
hostap_pci             38196   0
hostap                 51428   0 [hostap_pci]
hostap_crypt            1360   0 [hostap]

Here is what I put in my /etc/network/interfaces
#------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      wireless_essid releventssid
#------

When I "/etc/init.d/networking restart", I get messages like the
following:

root@cat ~ 71%  /etc/init.d/networking restart
Reconfiguring network interfaces... ****  /sbin/dhcpcd-bin: not running
done.
root@cat ~ 72%  /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd.exe: line 49: .: filename argument
required
.: usage: . filename
dhcpcd.exe: wrong interface name ""

Looking in /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd.exe, I see that when this script is run
it is perhaps missing an argument, $1 which is should be the name of a
file to be sourced. Perhaps I need to hack some of the dhcpcd config
files or the dhcpcd script?

To show that the device is indeed recognised:

hastings@cat ~ 5%  iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

dummy0    no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 14
of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 15.
Some things may be broken...

wlan0     IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"tsubaki"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point:
00:E0:00:8D:CA:D9
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:-7 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

The warning above I guess is a little worrisome, however it seems that
there may be a couple of problems.

Any hints or suggestions, or even a link to a good FM would be highly
appreciated. I've googled a great deal already, but I fear google has
already helped me all it can.

Thanks,

Nick.

PS. I'm running a home cooked 2.4.20 kernel (I can't get any of the
2.4 Debian kernels to boot), and am tracking unstable, with
wireless-tools version 25-3.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux cat 2.4.20-looxt #1 Tue Apr 1 13:23:20 JST 2003