Re: MTA: usage of smart host

on Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 05:28:07AM -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor (jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>:
> > on Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:33:59PM -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor (jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org) wrote:

> > > So not only do you not want to send your mother e-mail, you don't want
> > > to receive e-mail from her either?  And this makes the Internet a
> > > better and more open place?
> >
> > AOL made an arbitrary decision without informing its subscribers.
> >
> > Mom's set up with a GNU/Linux box and Earthlink dialup, should she care
> > to use it.  Don't worry, I'll be able to mail her.
> >

> Ah, but will she actually receive it?
>
> > AOL, OTOH, might be advised about arbitrarially turning its back on
> > large portions of the 'Net.
> >
> > Peace.
> >

> So complain to them.  Rather than validating their behavior by doing
> the same thing yourself.  Yes, it is hard being open.  Having
> principles is like that.

I suppose the concept of boycotting a concern whose actions you find
objectionable is beyond your ken.  Others may see the light.

I've written a more detailed essay, and a response to a pretty gross
misrepresentation of my comments, actions, and concerns in Erin Joyce's
story, here:

    http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=96625

I'll also note that my inquiry here was made on behalf of those who've
requested information on denying access to specific domains on various
MTAs.  Or would you deny people the right to control their _own_ systems
(emphasis on their own, not "systems they maintain on behalf of 35
million customers who are in the dark on mail acceptance/denial
policies).

Peace.

    Linux: Good, fast, _and_ cheap.