Re: MTA: usage of smart host

on Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 03:57:14PM +0200, David Fokkema (fokkema@nat.vu.nl) wrote:
> > David Fokkema wrote:
> > > ...  Why is there
> > > something like a smart host?
> >
> > I was forced to use my ISPs MTA as smart host after I got rejects
> > from some SMTP daemons somewhere on the net because my current
> > dial-in IP address was not registered as Mail Exchange (MX) for the
> > domain in the DNS.
> >
> > I don't know if this is standard conformant behavior, but it might
> > slightly improve the SPAM situation.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ingo
>
> I also have some problems with rejects. Of course, I could register with
> dyndns.org or something like that and setup mail, but I think I will stick
> to my provider's smart host.

If anyone's seen the AOL banning DSL mail item at Slashdot, the box I
was using to attempt sending to AOL is in fact registered via
dyndns.org.  Which didn't help.

   AOL Bans Mail From DSL-Hosted Servers
   http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/13/2215207

FWIW, I just got off the phone with a reporter, I expect this will get
more coverage before we're through ;-)

And damnit!  I just want to be able to email my mom!

Peace.

    DON'T PANIC