Re: MTA: usage of smart host

Quoting Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>:
> If anyone's seen the AOL banning DSL mail item at Slashdot, the box I
> was using to attempt sending to AOL is in fact registered via
> dyndns.org.  Which didn't help.
>
>    AOL Bans Mail From DSL-Hosted Servers
>    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/13/2215207
>
> FWIW, I just got off the phone with a reporter, I expect this will get
> more coverage before we're through ;-)
>
> And damnit!  I just want to be able to email my mom!
>
> Peace.

They may be checking the IP address, not the domain name you use.  You
can plug your IP address into several search engines linked off this
page to find out why they reject you:

http://postmaster.info.aol.com./index.html

My cable connection with a dynamic IP continues to work.  I am
registered with dyndns.org also.  Make sure you check the MX box and
put your IP address in the box.  This is not required by RFCs, but
some MTAs check for an MX record anyway as an anti-spam measure.  If
all else fails, you should be able to configure your MTA to send
e-mail to aol.com thru your ISPs SMTP server.  In Postfix, add the
following line to /etc/postfix/transport and run "postmap transport":

aol.com	smtp:[smtp-server.myISP.com]

You will also need the following line in /etc/postfix/main.cf if it is
not already there:

Other MTAs should have something comparable.

HTH,
  Jeffrey