Source code installation

Hi all:

I am very new to Debian.
I need to install a software(SPIN) which does not have .deb distribution.
They only give  *.tar.gz.

Here is the guide how to install:

"
Place the *.tar.gz file from the Spin Source Distribution in clean
directory, and cd to that directory. If you have a standard Unix system,
unpack the archive, and compile an executable, for instance as follows:

	gunzip *.tar.gz
	tar -xf *.tar
	cd Src*
	make -f make_unix

Spin should compile without warnings. Install the executable version of
spin in a directory that is within your default search path (such as your
ome bin directory, or /usr/local/bin etc.)
 On Unix systems Spin assumes that the standard C preprocessor cpp is
stored in file "/lib/cpp". On some systems this is different: check the
comments in the makefile for details if you run into this problem.
 "

But in Debian we have an package system,
if I just manunally install like this, is there any conflict?

does it mean from above that I can just put the source code
in any directory and run make?
what does it mean by puting executable servion of the program to
/usr/local/bin?

Hope someone could help me!

Thanks alot!
Tuan Anh