Re: Newbie: where to find appletalk.o?

Quoting Dave <sblk0802@jimmiedave.com>:

> Netatalk is already installed and working with AppleTalk-via-IP. I'm trying
> enable AppleTalk-over-Ethernet (which needs appletalk.o or a custom
> kernel).
>
> Already checked (and just verified) that appletalk.o is not compiled into
> my
> 2.2.20 kernel.
>
> Quoting "Jacob S." <stormspotter@6texans.net>:
>
> > Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any stock Debian kernels that come with
> > appletalk.o compiled. I compiled my own 2.2 (and now 2.4) kernel to get
> > netatalk working. It's listed under the "Networking Options" section,
> > and called "Appletalk Protocol Support," when compiling a custom kernel.
>
> Hmmmm. Looks like I may have to take the plunge and recompile the kernel,
> but
> I'd much rather have a loadable module than fool with it. Haven't done a
> kernel yet.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong here - for a new kernel with appletalk, I need:
> kernel-source-2.2.20 (version I have), and kernel-package (recommended for
> custom kernels), right? Or can I just make config (i.e. - this would NOT be
> custom kernel) and enable it during the build?

Hey Dave,

Debian stock kernels come with the appletalk module.

For kernel 2.2.x kernels, run modconf
and goto "misc"
You should find the appletalk module in there somewhere.

For kernel 2.4.x kernels, run modconf
and goto

/kernel/net/appletalk

If you haven't already, make sure you have added your nic to the atalk.conf
for netatalk.

Restart netatalk and run ifconfig
You should see the appletalk network address in your settings.

hth,

Cheers,
Mike