Re: Newbie: where to find appletalk.o?

Quoting David Raeker-Jordan <david@raeker-jordan.net>:

> Dave wrote:
> > I'm trying to get AppleTalk-over-Ethernet via Netatalk ('old-style' Appletalk -
> > AppleTalk over IP works fine) working.

> > Can anyone tell me how to either locate a copy of appletalk.o or the source (and
> > method) for compiling it?

> You need netatalk installed and appletalk enabled in your kernel.
>
> Do you have netatalk installed?
> "apt-get install netatalk"
>
> Is appletalk enabled in your kernel"
> "grep -i appletalk /boot/config_your-version-here"

Netatalk is already installed and working with AppleTalk-via-IP. I'm trying to
enable AppleTalk-over-Ethernet (which needs appletalk.o or a custom kernel).

Already checked (and just verified) that appletalk.o is not compiled into my
2.2.20 kernel.

Quoting "Jacob S." <stormspotter@6texans.net>:

> Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any stock Debian kernels that come with
> appletalk.o compiled. I compiled my own 2.2 (and now 2.4) kernel to get
> netatalk working. It's listed under the "Networking Options" section,
> and called "Appletalk Protocol Support," when compiling a custom kernel.

Hmmmm. Looks like I may have to take the plunge and recompile the kernel, but
I'd much rather have a loadable module than fool with it. Haven't done a kernel yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong here - for a new kernel with appletalk, I need:
kernel-source-2.2.20 (version I have), and kernel-package (recommended for
custom kernels), right? Or can I just make config (i.e. - this would NOT be a
custom kernel) and enable it during the build?

(BTW - thanks both for your quick assistance!)

DC

--
BAG IS NOT A TOY!

sblk0802@jimmiedave.com