Re: Newbie: where to find appletalk.o?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:43:14 -0400
Dave <sblk0802@jimmiedave.com> wrote:

> Quoting "Jacob S." <stormspotter@6texans.net>:
>
> > Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any stock Debian kernels that come
> > with appletalk.o compiled. I compiled my own 2.2 (and now 2.4)
> > kernel to get netatalk working. It's listed under the "Networking
> > Options" section, and called "Appletalk Protocol Support," when
> > compiling a custom kernel.
>
> Hmmmm. Looks like I may have to take the plunge and recompile the
> kernel, but I'd much rather have a loadable module than fool with it.
> Haven't done a kernel yet.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong here - for a new kernel with appletalk, I
> need: kernel-source-2.2.20 (version I have), and kernel-package
> (recommended for custom kernels), right? Or can I just make config
> (i.e. - this would NOT be a custom kernel) and enable it during the
> build?
>
> (BTW - thanks both for your quick assistance!)
>
> DC

kernel-package would be the "Debian way," but I've never taken the time
to learn how to use it. I started out compiling kernels doing the
standard "make clean, make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage, make
modules, make modules_install."

(Yes, the make config route would be a custom kernel, as it's not a
pre-compiled .deb).

(NP for the assistance... Just trying to give back to the list that's
helped me so much. :-)

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/