OT: linux servers and stable router appliances

I am currently using a Netgear RP614 router/firewall appliance as a gateway for my DSL service. I have 2 PC's and occasionally the laptop gets plugged in for updates. I'm interested in running a 24 hour game server on one PC behind the router. Both boxes are dual boot

The netgear router has worked fine as a gateway for web surfing, the only bug being having to reboot it maybe once a week, especially if the connection has been idle for more that 12 hours. The DSL service is Verizon 7 megabit DSL with PPPoE.

I have 2 problems running a game server beind the netgear. One is the reboot issue. The second is, if people are playing for more than a couple of hours, the players pings start a steady rise. To resolve it, I have to reboot the router.

Can anyone recommend a stable gateway router? I need something that is fast, and will introduce the least amount of latency. Anybody playing with a Cisco SoHo 806? Are these difficult to setup?

Any comments would be appreciated.
.