Re: X goes to 100% CPU on closing or iconifying windows

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:22:43 +0200
Enrico Zini <zinie@cs.unibo.it> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've setup a desktop system for dad and mom.  The box is not too
> powerful (a K6II-400 with 128Mb of ram) but with a good swap partition
> it should be usable enough for a desktop system.
>
> The box is a debian testing with OpenOffice, Nautilus and the rest of
> Gnome 2.  Everythig goes more or less smooth (once OpenOffice has
> taken his 1 minute to load), except when closing or iconifying a
> window.
>
> In that case, after pressing the WM button, X goes to 100% CPU for
> about 5 seconds, then the window disappears as it should.  No disk
> activity, only CPU.  I verified with top running on an X terminal: the
> process hung on the CPU is X).

<snip>
> Bye,
>
> Enrico

I haven't seen this problem before, so I may be way off, but have you
tried using a different window manager to see if it makes any
difference? I know some of them try to be a lot fancier than others when
you tell it to make a window disappear.

As a quick sidenote: I've found that leaving open the programs I use
most frequently is a nice way of saving the time it takes for the
program to load. It's made OpenOffice much more tolerable on my 1Ghz
machine. Then again, I leave my machine running all the time (155 days
currently), so YMMV.

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/