Re: source-package installation lost with upgrade

Robert Ian Smit said:

> What are your thoughts on "++ing" the version number before building the
> package like someone else mentioned? Are there any risks
> inherent to that solution?

that could work too, but if a version comes out that is newer apt-get will
install it, so you risk either a potential security problem by not upgrading
or a broken app(s) if you do upgrade(depending on what your compiling, if
it were my ldap packages I probably wouldnt even be able to login anymore).

depending on how you increment the version number an upgrade may come out
but your version may still be "newer" and apt-get won't tell you about an
update.

it may be a better solution, for me the 'hold' situation is easy and I've
been doing it for a couple years now out of habbit and old habbits die
hard of course :)

most security problems are local, if the machine is locked down well
there should be very little trouble. firewall all non critical services
from the public and run as many services in more secure modes if available.

of course if you have non trusted users logging into your systems all bets
are off..I haven't had untrusted users for years..well I do now sorta on
one system but the users aren't advanced enough to know/care about what
a shell is, all they do is ftp/email.

nate