Re: source-package installation lost with upgrade

* nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [10-04-2003 03:13]:
> > prompt to replace the package

> nope, it will just say it's held, it's up to you to keep track
> of what you build from source.

> subscribe to the debian-security-announce (?) mailing list to get
> notified of new patches. I'm already on a buncha generic security
> mailing lists which get the debian advisories. depending on how many
> packages your managing from source it isn't hard to manage.

Although this solution would work in my current situation, it
doesn't scale well. At the moment, I run shorewall from testing and
a rebuild libssl. Pretty manageable when apt-get upgrade shows two
packages being held. But I feel it diminishes the beauty of the
Debian update/upgrade system.

What are your thoughts on "++ing" the version number before building
the package like someone else mentioned? Are there any risks
inherent to that solution?

Bob