Re: source-package installation lost with upgrade

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 02:19:34AM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> * nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [09-04-2003 19:32]:
> > > these would  then  be upgraded. If so, HOW can I do this?
> > > Any experience?
>
> > find your packages, change "install" to "hold"
>
> If a new version of that package is released, due to a security
> update for instance, would I be prompted to replace the package I
> compiled (or alternatively rebuild the package from updated
> sources) ?
>
> I have compiled libssl for my Sparc, resulting in a truly noticeable
> performance increase, but would hate to add a security risk by
> possibly not being up to date with the latest patches.

Ah yes, the slowass libssl on sparc.  When I compiled my packages, I
just appended a ".1" to the package version.  This ensures (pretty
much) that if an updated package is released and I don't have time to
recompile, the new package will replace mine.  Otherwise, my package
will be preferred.

In the case of libssl0.9.6, the most current version available in
stable is "0.9.6c-2.woody.2"; my version is "0.9.6c-2.woody.2.1".

I also set up a local repository to ease package installation.  This
probably isn't a big deal if you only have one sparc.

  We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The question which
  divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of
  being correct.  My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough.
          -- Niels Bohr