Re: Samba for scanner?

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 06:45:19AM -0400, Angus D Madden wrote:
> Donovan Baarda, Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:54:35AM +1000:
> >
> > My choice would be to use Linux as the server for the device, then share
> > it out from there. However, I doubt you will find much Linux support for
> > these multifunction devices. I would shop around and research like crazy
> > before buying anything, and pay extra if necessary for a Linux supported
> > device. I think I would end up buying separate scanner, printer, modem
> > devices just so that they all work with Linux (and would probably be
> > better and be cheaper).
> >
> > If you do find something that works with Linux, please let us all know.

     I will.

> The HP OfficeJet all-in-one devices are well supported.  I have an
> OfficeJet V40xi and it prints and scans as good as any printer/scanner
> I've had.  The only thing I can't do is send faxes from my pc, but I
> haven't ever had the need to do that.
>
> http://hpoj.sf.net/

     I had already decided that if I were going to attach it to Linux I
     would go with HP.  There all-in-ones are quite supported.

     The SANE/TWAIN combo looks interesting.  Can someone give testimony
     on their experiance with this?  I am wondering what functionality
     will be lost from the Windows side.

     I would just buy it and find out for myself, but if I am going to
     end up attaching it to Windows then I have my eye on a Canon.  So I
     need to try to chose which OS before I purchase.  I am going to try
     to find somewhere I can purchase both and see what thier return
     poicy is.

     Thanks for the infomation.  I had not heard of sane.d before.