Re: Custom Debian CD Creation

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:40:11 +0200, Sridhar M.A. wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:25:45AM +0200, David Dumortier wrote:
>    >
>    > > Is there any tool available that will help me create
>    > > the custom CD such that I may select the software I want
>    > > there, and take care of the dependencies automatically?
>    >
>    > debian-cd seems to be your friend, I'm actually trying to use it but I've
>    > some big problems. To late to explain all ...
>    > It seems that with pgi you can make graphicals installations very easy.
>    > But configuration of building's cd are very tricky (so I feel).
>    >

Thanks David for telling me about the debian-cd package.
I did not know it existed. I installed it, and presently,trying to
figure out how it works. Probably it will need some getting
used to. Once I succeed in making it work, I will start with
the progeny installer. In the meantime, I shall try out Sridhar's
procedure.

> Recently I tried this in a different way.
>
> I started with knoppix and removed many of the packages from and
> installed what I needed. Created the iso and burnt it. Worked fine. Of
> course I did not install the modified cd on any machine, but it should
> work.
>
> The advantage I see in this route is you have a bootable+live cd with
> which we can the h/w for compatibility like X, sound, etc with debian.

Thanks.
Yes, that would be a quick way to go about.
If Knoppix can be used as the base, probably so can be done with
the other knoppix derivatives.
A few minutes ago, I was browsing through the linux gazette, and
I found a detailed article on doing what you said in issue87,
by Sunil Thomas.

Regards,
Santanu