Debian and X

I am a little novice in Linux and Debian.

Before I was using Mandrake that setup much in a "microsoft-way".

Someone told me to never use tasksel. Use apt-get instead.

Well I tried the following:

apt-get install x-window-system-core
apt-get install gnome-session gnome-control-center gnome-panel

Unless I install gdm, x-window don't even start as Kent West told me because
there are no x-client running.

if I install gdm, X starts at boot, but I run in following

1. I can't logon as root
2. I have no idea how-to configure shell prompt boot again
3. Gnome complains that I not running a compatible windowm manager - which I
haven't even configured

My question is:

Is there any document that talks about Debian and X configuration?

A second question is: Debian doesn't use linuxconf?

Thanks,

Valter