Re: Debian and X

Valter G. Nogueira Jr. said:

> Someone told me to never use tasksel. Use apt-get instead.

I personally do not use tasksel but I don't see a problem using it..

> Unless I install gdm, x-window don't even start as Kent West told me
> because there are no x-client running.

try

echo "exec `which gnome-session`" >~/.xinitrc

after that 'startx' should fire up gnome.

> if I install gdm, X starts at boot, but I run in following
>
> 1. I can't logon as root
> 2. I have no idea how-to configure shell prompt boot again
> 3. Gnome complains that I not running a compatible windowm manager - which
> I haven't even configured

as far as I know root login is disabled in gdm by default. you should
be able to enter the configuration tool in gdm(in one of the menus??)
if all else fails edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and change:

AllowRoot=false

AllowRoot=true

to disable gdm from loading on boot:

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

you can use CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to a virtual console(WARNING: some
machines tend to freeze when this is done, most work ok, but some do
not)

nate