Re: Why am I no longer receiving the digest?

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 16:46:02 +0100
Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:25:15AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 04:12:36AM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > > Thanks, that's useful to know... so presumably when it does get going
> > > again, I'll receive 100 digests in a lump? duplicating a few thousand
> > > messages? But if I block the duplicates, the list server gets error
> > > returns and automatically unsubscribes me (or so I understand). Oh well.
> >
> > No need to return errors on the duplicates. You could just drop them
> > into /dev/null.
>
> Sorry, I know that. I'm thinking of actually not downloading them over
> dialup from the POP3 server. I know more or less nothing about the
> inner workings of email transmission and delivery, but the consensus
> on this list as to what to do with spam seems to be to deliver it to
> /dev/null as anything else either returns errors to the spammer which
> they can use for evil purposes, or accidentally spams with error
> messages some innocent whose address has been forged in the From header

I think the solution to your problem would be to download and install Animail:

http://animail.sourceforge.net/

I installed Animail a few months ago, and I'm very enthusiastic about it. Among it's notable features, it's got the ability to delete (without downloading) email messages and attachments over a certain size that you specify. Since the digests are likely to be pretty large, you can send all big messages to trash without losing smallers messages that you might want to read.

Hope this helps,
Robert