Re: Need help for file sharing -- linux --> linux boxen

Greetings,

the "t" in my apt commands is so from attempting to get the testing
version of these packages. I've attempted to install nfs* pkgs from both
stable and testing with the same post-install errors.

There appears to be a problem connecting to RPC services.

I've done the following ~before~ posting to the list:

1.	Attempted to install stable version of nfs-user-server.
	Result: error as before

2.	Purged above package and attempted install of nfs-kernel-server.
	Result: same error

3.	Purged all nfs-common, nfs-*-server, and portmap, then attempted
	fresh install.
	Result: same error

4.	Step 3 repeated but attempting testing versions.
	Result: same error

A bit of a patter developing.

I've also disabled portsentry while installing -- thinking that it was
interfering in the process.

At this point all I can think of is that my ~limited~ ipchains rules are
somehow interfering (although they shouldn't as I have unrestricted
traffic on the lo interface).

Still looking for advice, pointers, fm's, etc.

Thanks anyway,

C-Cose

On 04-05-03, Hanasaki JiJi transmitted the following;
% apt-get remove --purge nfs-kernel-server nfs-user-server
% apt-get install --reinstall nfs-kernel-server portmap
%
% dont mix in all that -t stuff.. ya dont need it.  if you reply to this,
% reply to the list so others can see/help you.
%
% C-Cose Masters wrote:
% >Greetings,
% >
% >I'm having difficulties installing nfs- (user-server | kernel-server)
% >through apt. Basically they exit with pre- and post-config errors as
% >follows:
% >
% >for nfs-user-server
% >
% >	==>SUPER: apt-get -u install -t testing nfs-user-server
% >	Reading Package Lists... Done
% >	Building Dependency Tree... Done
% >	The following NEW packages will be installed:
% >	nfs-user-server
% >	0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 518  not
% >	upgraded.
% >	Need to get 97.9kB of archives. After unpacking 266kB will be used.
% >	Get:1 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main nfs-user-server
% >	2.2beta47-14 [97.9kB]
% >	Fetched 97.9kB in 14s (6640B/s)
% >	Selecting previously deselected package nfs-user-server.
% >	(Reading database ... 109846 files and directories currently
% >	installed.)
% >	Unpacking nfs-user-server (from
% >	.../nfs-user-server_2.2beta47-14_i386.deb) ...
% >	Setting up nfs-user-server (2.2beta47-14) ...
% >	Starting NFS servers:Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to
% >	receive; errno = Connection refused
% >	dpkg: error processing nfs-user-server (--configure):
% >	 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
% >	 Errors were encountered while processing:
% >	nfs-user-server
% >	E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
% >
% >for nfs-kernel-server, the same error about RPC "Connection refused" is
% >returned after it hangs during post-install and has to be interrupted
% >with <control>+c.
% >
% >When I was running potato, I had "nfs-server" installed without any
% >difficulties at all but removed it as, at the time, it was an
% >unnecessary extra service.
% >
% >Now, I've finally got a small home LAN set up with a mixture of Mac, MS
% >and Linux boxes. I'd like to have a way to transfer files between the
% >Linux boxes (currently ~this~ desktop, with two users, and a laptop,
% >with only myself).
% >
% >Am I over-thinking the means to xfer files to and fro? Seeing as I'll be
% >on a secure wired LAN and no more than two rooms separating the desktop
% >and laptop, I'd like to do this without having to resort to ssh, ftp, or
% >emailing files to and fro.
% >
% >I'm also having quandaries with other servers (specifically pop3 service
% >offering to the MS and Mac machines) but will address them in another
% >post.
% >
% >Many thanks for any help offered,
% >
% >C-Cose Masters
% >
% >
%
% --
% = Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the     =
% =       right things.    - Peter Drucker                        =
% =     http://www.sun.com/service/sunps/jdc/javacenter.pdf       =
% =  www.sun.com | www.javasoft.com | http://wwws.sun.com/sunone  =