Re: login as root to GUI

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:47:54 -0600
Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> wrote:

> mutt does line wrap, but the default is ugly and hard to read.  Many
> popular and useful MUAs don't do linewrap at all.  Furthermore, how
> does someone effectively _quote_ text which is not linewrapped?  Now
> the local MUA has to be smart enough to precede each "unwrapped" line
> with the appropriate number of quote characters.  Let's just write
> email in HTML if we're going to expect the receiver to reformat the
> entire message[3 again].  This is email, not the World Wide Web.
>
> Sorry, but I think you're off on the wrong track here.
>
> [1] rfc 1855
> [2] sorry for the hyperbole
> [3] there was a huge thread on d-curiosa where some guy argued that
>     html email was the only way to go since it allowed more
>     expression. He was beaten severely about the head and shoulders.

Ah yes, rfc 1855. Dated October 1995. A mere 7 1/2 years ago.
>From the RFC:

"This memo does not specify an Internet standard of any kind."

You make my point about adherence to outdated "standards".

I didn't say anything about using http. That's not something I proposed;
it's a bit of that sophistry you decried.

Technology has evolved. Programs have evolved (well, most of them have).
Practices should evolve as well. We don't all need to stay stuck in 1995.

Kevin