Re: How should we handle people who can not unsubscribe?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:14:24PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> I am getting the impression that many people commenting in this thread
> didn't pay attention to what the OP was dealing with. IIUC, his email
> address has been changed by his ISP from .com to .net, and while they
> are still accepting email to the .com address and putting it in his .net
> mailbox, he hasn't been able to email out as the .com address to
> unsubscribe (although it is immensely questionable if he is
> comprehending that it must be that address he uses to unsubscribe.)
>
> Passing a comprehension test as described here is not going to
> demonstrate sufficient clue-iostity to deal with unsubscribing when you
> can no longer use the outbound address.

If he can receive mail at the .com address, any half-decent mailer makes
it trivial to change the From: line of his mail to -request (in other
words, the ISP is rarely responsible for whether you can use a given
address on outbound mail, unless you're using some strange webmail
stuff, which he doesn't seem to be); if he can't do that, he can simply
put the unsubscribing address in the Subject: line. This was explained
to him a couple of times, but never seemed to get through.