Re: How long is linux going to be free ?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 02:51:42AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> It's not entirely clear whether or not the copyright holders may
> release new versions of the software under a more restrictive license,
> making the non-free fork of tuxracer legally questionable as far as I
> can tell.

The copyright holders may always do this at their discretion, since the
authority to issue licences rests entirely with them. If I release a
piece of software under licence X, I am not bound by the terms of
licence X. The same applies to a group of copyright holders if they all
agree.

IANAL either, but this is my fairly firm understanding of what a licence
means.