Re: [OT, FLAME] Linux Sucks

Nathan E Norman said:

> Sorry for yelling, but this whole "debian is hard to install" thing drives
> me crazy.  Call me an elite bastard, but I still feel if debian is too
> hard to install, you shouldn't be installing it.  Mandrake et al exist for
> a reason.

well of course there are always exceptions. Having done probably
a hundred or more debian installs over nearly the past 5 years I am
fairly proficient(to put it lightly) at installing debian.

but still, at least in the realm of supported hardware debian isn't
quite up there yet. I do try to build my systems with debian in mind,
so the occasion is rare that I have a system that is more difficult
to install debian on. the worst such examples were newer(at the time)
IBM and toshiba notebooks. the debian CDs wouldn't even boot on them.
The system wouldn't see them as bootable cds so wouldn't try. luckily
the toshiba had a floppy drive(IBM did not) so I could install on
the toshiba. However, SuSE 7.3(at the time) booted & installed fine
for some reason. I think I was using potato CDs at the time not
woody.

but once your over the first hurdle of getting the base system
installed and booted the rest is cake for me.

though it would save some time if the installer could install directly
onto a software raid array(raid on root).

and I will probably never forget the ~8 hours it took me to get
my i810 video chipset working on debian slink back in may 2000.
If I had only known there was a kernel driver within the xfree86
distribution I could of saved 6 hours :)

nate