Re: no audio cds

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 14:22, Alberto Cabello Sanchez wrote:
> You (the user) must to have read permissions on physical device (that is,
> /dev/hdc). ls /cdrom will give empty anyway, but xmms will be able to load
> audio tracks.
> Easier way is to add yourself to group "disk", if I can remember.

NO!!!!!

Adding an user to the "disk" group will give him low-level read and write
permissions to all IDE devices. That said, he can either by accident, or (if
it is a non-private box) voluntarily overwrite the whole hd with the "dd"
command.

Better way is: find out which device actually is the cdrom device[1], then
root@box# chown root.audio /dev/<cddevice>
root@box# addgroup user audio

This will allow the user called "user" to low-level-read the cdrom device, but
not the hard drives.

joerg

[1] If you can mount data cdroms with "mount /cdrom", then the link /dev/cdrom
points to the "real" cdrom device. In most cases this will be /dev/hdc
root@box# ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 2003-01-16 16:31 /dev/cdrom ->
/dev/hdc

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!