Where is faq/HOWTO for changing locale?

I need to change my locale from LANG=C to LANG=en_US
on debian-390 (woody-3.0r1), running under hercules
390 emulator.  Just changing the value of LANG does
not seem to do what I expect.  In fact, it doesn't
seem to do much of anything.

Could someone please point me to a faq or HOWTO that
tells what packages need to be installed and a
step-by-step procedure for changing locale?

TIA for any info and RTFM's you can provide.

Peter