Re: Error with apache and MS Proxy

unused@xs4all.nl wrote:
Yeah that's how it should be. Because our website is hosted external :(,
that's the 212.129.243.94, and we want people to be able to download files
from our server which is hosted internal (212.129.243.94). It must be easy
access so that's why I choose to do it this way.

a lot of people expect http://www.xyz.com & http://xyz.com to be the same, why not just setup a dedicated download.xyz.com, or if they're downloading over ssh keep it on port 22? even if only people internal to your organization are downloading these files, and you can teach them how you want them to do it, that decision effects how the whole Internet can or cannot connect to your sites. Are you sure the people who have trouble connecting aren't just typing the http://xyz.com version?

I just de-installed lib-net perl, and now everything is working..:)!!
BUT, now I have the problem that I think libnet-perl is crucial for the
os, and the programs it depens on (libapache-asp-perl, libapache-mod-perl,
libhtml-tree-perl, libnet-perl libwww-perl).

Does anyone know where I can download a stable release of libnet-perl?

in the stable release of debian?

are they trying to download over ftp or ssh? or is it fish or something like that? there are some ftp protocol proxy questions in the configuration, are you sure you answered the questions correctly? I've never used a FTP proxy or anything like fish, so I can't help you with that, but maybe if you tell the list what you entered for each of the ftp-related questions

FTP Proxy Firewall:
Use Passive mode for connections outside LAN?:
Use Passive mode for connections within LAN?:

Or what problems I face when I run my system and webserver without
libapache-asp-perl, libapache-mod-perl, libhtml-tree-perl, libnet-perl
libwww-perl.

All my webpages run php4.

PHP should be fine, but I wouldn't remove libnet-perl; it would be a pretty clumsy web server if you run any Perl CGI scripts or allow others to. libnet-perl provides a lot of common modules:

 libnet contains Perl implementations of the following protocols:
 Net::FTP (RFC959), Net::SMTP (RFC821), Net::Time (RFC867 & RFC868),
 Net::NNTP (RFC977), Net::POP3 (RFC1939). It also contains various
 utility functions for implementing new protocols.

aside from those you listed a bunch of libxml stuff will also be removed:

root@enlil:~# apt-get -s remove libnet-perl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  axkit axkit-language-query libapache-mod-perl libapache-request-perl
  libcgi-xml-perl libcgi-xmlform-perl libdbix-xmlmessage-perl
  libfrontier-rpc-perl libhtml-tree-perl libnet-perl libsoap-lite-perl
  libsoap-perl libwww-perl libxml-checker-perl libxml-dom-perl
  libxml-encoding-perl libxml-node-perl libxml-parser-perl libxml-perl
  libxml-rss-perl libxml-sax-expat-perl libxml-twig-perl libxml-um-perl
  libxml-xpath-perl libxml-xslt-perl

I don't see any threat of OS-level stuff being removed, so I don't see how it could be effecting your system that fundamentally

the problem could still be completely unrelated to libnet-perl, today I began having ftp connection problems to one particular host only using some sid clients, I started a new thread called "ftp bug?"