Re: GTK/debconf/Gnome warnings with apt-get install

Charlie Zender <zender@uci.edu> writes:

> I am a newbie using debian unstable. A volatile combination, no doubt.
> Whenever I 'apt-get install foo' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade', the
> procedure works but prints lots of GTK and debconf/Gnome warning
> messages as follows:
>
> Setting up toshset (1.58-3) ...
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
> debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog

Hmm, that sounds like you have Debconf set up to use GNOME to ask
questions at configuration time, which can be troublesome.  You might
change the default by running

  dpkg-reconfigure -fdialog debconf

> Any hints on how to get rid of these warning messages?
> Is there a permission I need to set somewhere? xhost?

Eew.  You should probably forget xhost exists.  :-)  The Remote-X-Apps
Mini-HOWTO is what I usually point people at when they ask this sort
of question; one easy workaround if you're just worried about X access
from root on the local machine is to set the XAUTHORITY environment
variable to point to $HOME/.Xauthority (as your mortal user).

	-- Abra Mitchell