GTK/debconf/Gnome warnings with apt-get install

Hi,

I am a newbie using debian unstable. A volatile combination, no doubt.
Whenever I 'apt-get install foo' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade', the
procedure works but prints lots of GTK and debconf/Gnome warning
messages as follows:

Setting up toshset (1.58-3) ...
Xlib: No protocol specified

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog

The packages _do_ install fine, but apparently many of them would
prefer to use a Gnome/GTK method to be configured. I have never
run Gnome on this machine, but I believe it is installed
(I did 'apt-get install gnome' successfully).

I always do the upgrades as root, and root's environment has
DISPLAY=:0
which seems fine to me, but perhaps it should be set to something
else? I am _running_ on DISPAY :0.0, and I'm not doing anything
fancy that I'm aware of.

Any hints on how to get rid of these warning messages?
Is there a permission I need to set somewhere? xhost?

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, zender at uci dot edu, (949) 824-2987, Department of
Earth System Science, University of California, Irvine CA 92697-3100