Re: [off topic] Learning Shell from an old UNIX book

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 05:41:46PM +0200, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> I want to learn shell programming. Thus I went to my university's library and
> found a book named "UNIX Shell Programming". The problem is, the book is
> written on 1988, and covers shell programming on Korn, Bourne and the C Shell
> on both AT&T System V and Berkely systems ( I guess these two were the most
> major Unices at the time ).
>
> Obviously, I am using Debian GNU/Linux not System V or BSD, and I use BASH.
> But this is the only book in our library about shell programming. so I
> wonder:
>
> 1 ) Can this book be beneficial for me? or is it so obsolete that it is not
> usefull anymore?

I would think it could still be pretty useful, however their is a BASH
Shell programming gude at www.linuxdoc.org if that makes you happier
(i'm reading it now and it seems pretty good).

> The book shows examples for all of these tree shells. Therefore I wonder
> 2 ) Bash is more similar to which one of these Shells? Korn Bourne or C ?

The Bourne shell, BASH stands for Bourne-Again SHell

> 3) What things shall I keep in mind when reading example programs. Do commads
> on Korn, Bourne and C, usually work on Bash? Or is Bash using a completely
> diffrent syntax?

The Bourne scripts should run perfectly... the BASH manpage
should document any incompatible differences between the two.

Good luck,
Cameron