Re: Logging

> and if possible, revert as much hardware to it's previous
> state to eliminate chances that it would be the cause of
> failure. Also if you can revert kernels that would be
> good too. Other then X, the kernel is the only thing I can
> think of that could possibly be involved in a system
> lockup.
> If you can reproduce the lockup w/o X, then that is even
> better. I hate troubleshooting this kinda stuff, takes
> forever!

I don't want to revert hardware just yet, I hope to figure out
what actually is the problem first. The one thing I have been
able to determine is that the lockups only seem to happen when
X is being displayed. I can be logged in, being done with my
work, CNTL-ALT-F1 to vt1 and walk away, and it runs for days
(I still boot into windows for games quite often). But I've
sat in front of it working for 10-12 hours and have no
problems. Mostly it locks up when I go away, once I'd been
working for 2 hours, and answered the door, and it was dead
when I got back. When it locks up there is no warning, it just
freezes. I've disabled screen savers, but that didn't help.
But then several times it has lockedup while I was actively
working on it. I usually have a couple of setiathomes running,
but running them or not doesn't seem to influence when it
happens.
Right now I am testing a boot option I found on the web,
setting it to noapic, as I could occasionally see APIC errors
in the logs, but they didn't really coorelate, I might get
some 4 hours before a crash or 48 hours.
What writes to the /var/log/debug? Is there anyway to set
logging to a higher level on it?