Re: LAPTOPS

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 02:16:16PM -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Monday 10 March 2003 11:32 am, james leclair wrote:
> > Hello,  you guys have been very helpful in the past so heres another one
> > for yus!
> > I'm about to take the plunge and pick up a laptop. My first laptop in a
> > number of years.
> > So, what, if any, suggestions comments or what have you might the experts
> > suggest I consider
> > when making my decision on a brand of craptop?
> > Thanks in advance,
> > James,
> >

> > "An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on Earth-scrutinizing what we
> > mainly present to our children in television, radio, movies, newspapers,
> > magazines, the comics, and many books-might easily conclude that we are
> > intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity
> > and consumerism."
>
> I researchd this awhile back, bought two. Most laptops work with Debian, the
> modem issue is an exception. What I have issues with is ACPI support, I
> haven't gotten it to work on my Sony Vaio. This is an issue if battery life
> is important to what you are doing. I use mine plugged in so I have the
> luxury of procratination in dealing with ACPI.

It is not "DEBIAN" problem.  It seems kernel problem to me.  (I am vaio
user with huge UXGA one and small 505 docking one)

> I do like my Sony VAIo though, I got the Athlon mobile with VIA chipset,
> well supported in GNU/Linux.

You have different one.

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract