Re: Installing Intel compiler RPMs on Debian

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 03:48:45PM -0800, Charlie Zender wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wow. The help people are sending is incredible! This is the first
> message I've posted to Debian User since I switched to Debian
> a few weeks ago. I havn't needed to post anything else because it
> just works, but these Intel compilers are a real challenge.
>
> 1. I tried "alien"'ing the RPMS and then manually changing INSTALL_DIR
> in the scripts. This did not work for me. YMMV.
> 2. Creating a new partition with RedHat just for this is the software
> equivalent of building a second Taj Mahal because your wife does not
> like the color of the first one.

Well HD is cheap. 500MB - 1GB for hassle free access is needed, this s
the only way guaranteed.

> 3. I asked Intel if they would supply Debian-compatible compilers
> to their customers. FYI, their rather helpful reply is below. Basically
> they seem to be saying that I can do a manual install along the lines
> of what I tried but using rpm2cpio instead of alien. Maybe this will
> work better, I have not tried it yet.

See below along this trick. Dependencies to other libraries will be a
bitch but .... if you wish...

> 4. If anyone has a working solution, please let me know how you did it.
> 5. I am using debian unstable, so it does not have to run on woody.

OK,

One more try on 3rd option :-)

Open RPM with "mc" and copy files to where ever you think should go.
Here "mc" is midnight commander.  Unstable got new version, so it may be
rough edged but I think testing is still old one.

I know this is totally manual and stupid, but it should work if package
dependencies does not bite you.  ("mc" runs rpm2cpio inside but does it
transparently for you.)

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract