Re: LAPTOPS

On Monday 10 March 2003 11:32 am, james leclair wrote:
> Hello,  you guys have been very helpful in the past so heres another one
> for yus!
> I'm about to take the plunge and pick up a laptop. My first laptop in a
> number of years.
> So, what, if any, suggestions comments or what have you might the experts
> suggest I consider
> when making my decision on a brand of craptop?
> Thanks in advance,
> James,
>

> "An extraterrestrial being, newly arrived on Earth-scrutinizing what we
> mainly present to our children in television, radio, movies, newspapers,
> magazines, the comics, and many books-might easily conclude that we are
> intent on teaching them murder, rape, cruelty, superstition, credulity
> and consumerism."

I researchd this awhile back, bought two. Most laptops work with Debian, the
modem issue is an exception. What I have issues with is ACPI support, I
haven't gotten it to work on my Sony Vaio. This is an issue if battery life
is important to what you are doing. I use mine plugged in so I have the
luxury of procratination in dealing with ACPI.

I do like my Sony VAIo though, I got the Athlon mobile with VIA chipset,
well supported in GNU/Linux.
--
Greg Madden