Re: Comments on security, Re: recover lost root password

On Sunday 09 March 2003 1:46 am, Satish Iyer wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am new user of Debian Gnu/Linux. I have
> successfully setup and started using the system (my
> understanding and knowledge grows day by day).
> To my current understanding security seems to be a
> major drawback of gnu/linux systems.(How else can you
> explain such gaping holes?).

Calling this a "gaping hole", as though it were something that should not be
possible, shows a lack of understanding and knowledge. If you had followed
the thread, you would have learned how to close this 'gaping hole', should
you desire it.

> I am also inherently suspicious of anything that goes
> by "free" (Please try to convince me otherwise).

I don't think anyone should waste their time trying to convince you of
anything, except to do your own homework. Start at gnu.org.

> As I see it an adminstrator has his task cut out for
> him to ensure the security and confidentiality of the
> organization.

Big gaping duh. Show me the magic system where this is not true.

> Gnu/Linux doesn't make things easy in
> this crucial aspect!).
> Is there a gnu/linux community concerned with these
> issues?
> Regards,
> Satish

*speechless*