Re: Bad Debian (L.A.H.)

    "J." == J Lambrecht <jl_post@pandora.be> writes:

    J.> // I am not on the list so please, reply to all Sigh, and now
    J.> i now why Debian's not for kids

    J.> --- "From : Linux Administrator Handbook p.35 (Prentice
    J.> Hall,2002) "

    J.> Debian startup scripts

    J.> If SuSE is the ultimate example of a well-designed,
    J.> well-executed plan for the management of startup scripts,
    J.> Debian is the exact opposite. The Debian scripts are fragile,
    J.> undocumented, and unbelievably incosistent.  Sadly, it appears
    J.> that the lack of a standard way of setting up scripts has
    J.> resulted in chaos in this case. Bad Debian!  ...  Good Luck
    J.> ---

    J.> Does anyone now if the SuSE startup scripts would work on
    J.> Debian, or are there more well-planned startupscripts
    J.> available for Debian.

I've never used SuSE too much (I could not stand how intrusive it
seemed to my old fashioned ways), but I don't really understand what
the quote above is all about. I find the Debian start up scripts
pretty well put together. Maybe the fact that I've only used Slackware
and Debian significantly in the last 10 years has set my expectations
too low? ;-)

Perhaps you should try them before you lose them? Could you be more
specific about the problems?

There is an alternate package: file-rc. Never used it though.

Cheers!
Shyamal