Re: X doesn't seem to load app-defaults using gdm

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:17:41 -0800
Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:45:11PM +0100, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > /etc/X11/app-defaults/Rxvt contains the following two lines:
> > background:black
> > foreground:white
> > Yet rxvt is allways loaded with background white and foreground
> > black.
>
> If that's all the line actually says, of course rxvt isn't going to
> pay the slightest attention.  You haven't created a resource that it
> SHOULD pay attention to.

I haven't created any resource. This is a standard app-default that gets
installed with the package. Maybe a bug?

> X resources are hierarchial.  The name of the file they're defined in
> is entirely irrelevant.
>
> So, try this:
>
> rxvt*background:        black
> rxvt*foreground:        white
>
> I don't know for sure what class name rxvt actually uses, but a
> preusal of the documentation will tell you.
>
> --

I'll try it. But this still doesn't solve the entire problem. When using
.xsession, none of the app-defaults get loaded (eg. Xterm has a white
background and other stuff like that). Any thoughts on that would still
be welcome.

thx,
Wim

--
Only two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe, and I'm
not sure about the latter. -- Albert Einstein